There is a common stereotype that it is next to impossible to make good money as an artist
This may have been true in the days of Vincent van Gogh and Johannes Vermeer.
But that’s definitely not the case in today’s vibrant digital age, when building a strong following is more than realistic.
So if you are a creative person! You can turn your talent into a profitable business that will bring you fame and money.
Ways to make money as an artist nowadays
1. Teaching art online or face-to-face
If you are the enterprising and extrovert type of artist, finding students shouldn’t be a problem. But first, you need to determine which type of teaching suits you best.
Teaching courses online can be a good option to reach a wider audience. Another option is to turn teaching into a form of passive income. You will need to prepare the material once, and it can bring you income even for several months or years.
The creative industry today is in dire need of reliable instructors and educators as more people strive to achieve their goals. A creative teacher is able to share his knowledge with others if he can share what is in his head.
These creative educators include artists, photographers, and graphic designers. They provide live tutoring to students by launching paid services that allow students to have access to private tutors:
- Selling courses online is becoming more common, sell courses on platforms like Udemy or Skillshare.
- Create a website where you can sell manuals and tutorials.
- Sell manuals and tutorials on the website page.
Teaching face to face
Maybe you enjoy teaching but don’t like creating assignments to upload to the site. If you wish, you can conduct face-to-face seminars.
There are master classes for each direction of art. For example, a street artist might host a workshop on how to use spray paint or how to cut stencils. Or you can give font and calligraphy workshops. You can receive money this way.
If you take a closer look, you will surely find that there are opportunities for making money from art in your area. Even better if you have an attractive niche like calligraphy or street photography.
A few ideas on how you can contribute to the social life of your area while gaining experience and earning money:
- Offer drawing lessons to children or schoolchildren in the local community.
- Offer short interactive art workshops for corporate events and parties.
- A great way to make money doing what you already know and love.
- Creating a course can be complex and time consuming.
2. Take advantage of the influence of social networks
Instagram has become the #1 social media platform for artists and art lovers. This is great news for aspiring creators because you don’t have to climb the social ladder and wait for big-name critics to make their choice. Instead, you can connect with buyers around the world who are willing to pay for your work.
It all comes down to how many followers you have – the more popular your Instagram account, the higher the demand for your art.
When selling art on Instagram, follow these additional tips:
- Post high quality images
- Stick to your single style or brand
- Write creative captions that tell a story
- Use relevant hashtags
- Post photos regularly
Every time someone sends you a message showing interest in your work, redirect them to a sales page.
- You showcase and promote your work while driving buyers down the sales funnel.
- Probably, you will not be able to immediately receive a significant income.
3. Sell vector designs on Sellfy
Selling vector designs can be one of the best ways for you to make money as an artist by unleashing your creativity.
On Sellfy, you can sell all kinds of artwork, from illustrations, logo designs, icon packs, to various other types of graphics and templates. Your opportunities are not limited to the fine arts – you can also sell music online, offer e-books, knitting patterns, etc.
- An easy and fast way to list your digital works for sale.
- By offering various designs and regularly uploading new products, you can earn a stable passive income.
- Putting your digital products up for sale is not enough. You still have to market them to increase sales. Luckily, the Sellfy platform offers marketing tools to help with this: email marketing, upsells, discounts, and more.